Feel Good Friday: Rick and Dick Hoyt

After a long week at work or school, I know life can sometimes be stressful and tiring.

Therefore I think the best way to forget about all the negativity of the week is to hear about something that is truly inspirational and makes you appreciate all that you have.

Perspective is something that gets lost in the everyday hustle and bustle of life and if we were to take just one day out of every week to appreciate how amazing our lives are then it would give us that new hope to make the following week a good one.


So for my first Feel Good Friday I bring you the story of Rick and Dick Hoyt.


You might already recognize these two from the Maxwell House commercial but that commercial only shows you a glimpse at how amazing these two men are. Honestly, this video made me bawl my eyes out the entire time because it was so moving.


Rick was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at birth when his umbilical cord wrapped around his neck causing a lack of oxygen flow. Many doctors has told the Hoyt's to institutionalize their son saying he would be nothing more than a 'vegetable'. However the Hoyt's refused to accept that and treated their son like they would any other child.


"In the spring of 1977, Rick told his father that he wanted to participate in a 5-mile benefit run for a Lacrosse player who had been paralyzed in an accident. Far from being a long-distance runner, Dick agreed to push Rick in his wheelchair and they finished all 5 miles, coming in next to last. That night, Rick told his father, "Dad, when I'm running, it feels like I'm not handicapped."

This realization was just the beginning of what would become over 1,000 races completed, including marathons, duathlons and triathlons (6 of them being Ironman competitions)." - teamhoyt.com

If you would like to know more about Team Hoyt, I highly suggest you check out their website. They have everything from how it all started to a list of events they will be attending. Take a look if you have time. You won't regret the warm and fuzzy feeling you will get afterwards.

And now I leave you with a post from one of my favourite sites, GivesMeHope.


"My best guy friend asked me to prom. The day after I was told that I needed a kidney transplant.

I came downstairs when the doorbell rang on prom night, and I was greeted by my parents, sister and date all in tears.

"Instead of a corsage, I brought you a kidney," he said.

Mike, you and your amazingness GMH.

I also want to say that I hope all my Japanese friends and their loved ones are safe after the earthquake and tsunamis. Do what you can to help these people out whether it's through positive thoughts or any donations you can manage. ♥ My thoughts are with you all.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit and read Wanderlust & Whimsy!
I love to hear what you have to say, so don't be shy! ♥